Roy Williams addressed the media following the basketball banquet this evening. The full quotes can be found at Inside Carolina. Here is the THF executive summary and commentary on his remarks:
- Hansbrough and Lawson decided 10-12 days ago but held off out of deference to Wright. They reached a tipping point as far as people asking so they announced tonight.
- Wright is still really and truly undecided which surprised me but if you consider that other players may have moved ahead of him then it becomes less of a lock than everyone thought it was. According to Roy, Wright also does not appear to be overly worried about the decision.
- Since Roy is heading to London to visit his son, no decision will be announced prior to April 20th.
- For basketball reasons and reasons pertaining to relationships Roy is happy to have both Lawson and Hansbrough back.
- Roy explained that the benching of Lawson for the Georgia Tech game in Atlanta was indeed a result of a bad practice and not other issues people speculated wildly on.
- Roy also said he thinks Lawson might be “the perfect point guard” for his system.
My own personal opinion is that Wright ends up going. As much as I would LOVE to have him back, I just do not see him turning down the money and the high draft status. Then again much of the discussion in favor of him leaving centered on him being a lock at #3. This could very well have changed and he might be projecting lower which might give Wright pause to consider the options a little more closely. If that is the case, Wright could be considering another year to see if he can make himself into a bona fide top three pick without question. I also think that if he returns this team which is already going to be in the top tier of teams in 2007-08 might move into the flat out scary category.
But honestly I think he is going and in order to avoid disappointment let me go believing that he is leaving and be presently surprised if he does end up coming back.