- The two biggest disappointments in the ACC thus far are Georgia Tech and Maryland. Let’s start with the Terps who apparently have been immunized against consistency. Maryland beats Illinois at home but can’t handle Virginia Commonwealth? And spare me the “Well VCU beat Duke last season” meme, upset wins in the NCAA Tournament the previous season don’t mean anything now, especially with the same VCU team lost to Miami by six.
- Georgia Tech continues to lose to all the wrong teams and while I know they lost to Vanderbilt last season but that should be of little comfort to Yellow Jacket fans considering Vandy’s 7-0 schedule looks like it was shipped straight from the Little Debbie plant. Tech has losses to UNC Greensboro, Winthrop and now Vandy. This is as good a time as any to dredge up the wisdom of one Andy Katz of ESPN who said the following when Javaris Critteton and Thaddeus Young declared for the draft: “OK, so on paper, the assumption is that Georgia Tech will take a hit with the early departures of Javaris Crittenton and Young. But that doesn’t seem to be the case in Atlanta.” Yeah, how is that working for you Andy?
- Duke played about the same game with Davidson UNC did. Translation? Both teams are about even.
- Wake Forest lost for the first time this season dropping a game to Charlotte and the played USC Upsate and won. Who the heck is USC Upstate?
- BC also took their first loss of the season dropping a game in Boston to Providence. The Eagles will be tucked warm in their own beds now until ACC play begins.
- Other notable wins included Clemson handling SCAR, Virginia Tech over UNCA not that anyone in Blacksburg cared, FSU knocked off Samford and Miami of all teams is 7-0 with a win over St. John’s which tells you more about the debacle that the Red Storm has become than it does about the Hurricanes.